Saturday, January 21, 2012

Write, Revise, Rewrite, Enjoy!

I completed my MS, Created With Love, in June of last year(Don't know what MS means? Go here From The Write Angle Blog. Make sure you have a look around before you leave, their blog is very informative and useful, plus the writers on there are fantastic people. Check it out even if you don't need their glossary.). I began writing it in May and completed my revisions (at least 10 drafts total) by the end of June beginning of August. I joined a critique group on the fantastic Agent Query Connect site (Writers: go there, right after you read this post...seriously, I mean it) in Oct of last year. In December, it was suggested that my story needed more. So, I began my rewrite.

The first thing that happened when my rewrite started?
I had an epiphany....I wrote my story. Some may say, yes, of course you did. My MCs, however, feel that it is a very big problem. It is their story, Eamon and Sheena's, I am simply the go between. The story was lacking, mostly, because I did my thing. I told the story that I wanted to tell. Once I realized what I had done, I took a humble moment to apologize to my characters. They accepted my apology, as long as I promised to write their story this time. So, that is what I did and theirs is much better than mine.

I have enjoyed writing this story, from the very first draft all the way to where I am right now. There were moments of sadness, moments of happiness, even times when I was in the middle of a scene talking to myself out loud at how stupid it was-or how brilliant. I laughed, I cried, I  talked to friends, I got pissed off, I got frustrated. I fell in and out of love with editing. Our love/hate relationship is on the mend currently. I took the advice of my critique group and I ignored some as well. No matter what happened, I kept writing, kept revising, and I am still rewriting. Persistence and passion make writing worth everything. The writing, the revising, and even the rewriting, is all worth it in the end.

No comments: