Saturday, March 28, 2015

Aim High Academy

Hello everyone. I don't normally post on the weekends and I know many may not read blogs on the weekends, but I didn't have electricity to post when I first wanted.

As you may or may not know, Oklahoma was hit with some tornadoes and bad storms on Wednesday evening. It's been in the news so there's a good chance you've heard. Well, where I live was hit with a tornado. And I was inside of my daughters' gymnastics studio when it hit, along with 50+ gymnasts and a handful of adults (coaches, dance teacher, and parents).




That's my youngest, she's on Aim High's level 2 competitive team. For many years her goal has remained the same-make it to the Olympics. Now, she may or may not ever make it there, but she's very determined and already works on gymnastics constantly-no matter where she is. When we found Aim High just barely over a year ago, she was so happy.

The coaches at Aim High are some of the most wonderful people I've ever known. Many of them don't even get paid to coach and you'd never know. They come in happy to be there and coach no matter what. And they were wonderfully calm and comforting during that tornado. Girls were screaming, crying, terrified and the coaches (along with the dance teacher and some of the parents) worked hard to keep everyone calm and safe. I don't know if it's their faith or what, but they were completely calm and exactly what those kids needed. And really, it's what some of the adults needed.

Also, it's not being talked about much because it's more amazing that all these little girls were safe, but Aim High's basement didn't just keep the gymnasts and some adults safe, it kept random neighbors safe too. There were people coming in from somewhere I'm not sure where, but they came running into the basement for safety. So, Aim High kept strangers safe, they welcomed people who they knew nothing about into their basement and didn't think twice about it.

In case you haven't seen, I will show you what was left after whatever happened while 50+ little girls aged 3 or 4 up to 14, plus at least one little brother who was there while his sister practiced, and a handful of other adults huddled together and prayed.


This gym served over 200 Tulsa children and it's affordable. Aim High is a non-profit that gives children who don't have the money to go to other gyms a chance.

And that is why I decided to share this story and reach out to my blog buddies. I know this post is really freaking long, I'm so sorry. But there is a gofundme for Aim High right now, raising money to be able to get the gym going again. I wanted to appeal to you, my blogger buddies and ask that if you can give anything at all, it would be so very much appreciated.

My kids love being able to go to classes at Aim High (not just gymnastics either. My oldest is in Hip-Hop and just started taking drums and guitar classes too. And my youngest does gymnastics and Hip-Hop.). My kids aren't the only ones who love it. There are so many times that we have so many kids enrolled in classes that the classes are full with waiting lists. Kids come running in to get to their classes (the competitive girls as well as the regular instruction). And not just the girls either, the boys who are in the FAST (Flipping Agility Strength Toughness) come running in laughing and smiling and ready for class. The happiness this gym has brought to the community is heartwarming. Losing this gym is devastating and I want to see it brought back ASAP.

So, if you're able to, please help. And if any of my readers are from here, I hope you're all safe. And I hope you all have a great weekend and I'll see you Tuesday.

Aim High Academy Facebook
News on 6 Tulsa Video
Aim High gofundme
Aim High Website



1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Kela! So thankful you and your daughter are all right. What a total miracle. Will send out a Tweet right now.