Wednesday, March 21, 2012

School

First up on the non writer To Do is:

School


If you have school to get yourself to and you are a writer-it can be so hard.. So, how  can you do it? Stop staying up late to write! NOT. This is only a not because, let's be real, it just isn't that simple. We are writers, therefore, we write. It may keep us up until three in the morning, but you can't say-HEY Creativity, leave me alone so I can go to bed...I have school in the morning. Sad, but true. Writing is a passion. It's not a light that you switch off because it's time to go nighty night.

Same goes for those of us who have kiddos to get to school in the morning/or picked up in the afternoon. Our writing has to be shut off, but how to do it can be a mystery. Same reason as above...It's just not simple.

Those of us who attend school AND have children to get to/from school....hang on, give me a minute to praise you.........Okay. No really though. It's complicated to manage one of those things and the fact that you manage both deserves a pat on the back.

The problem is that there is no real solution. Yes, school is important. Yes, sleep is important-especially to do well in school or to get our kids to school on time. You can't cut your thinking off at night, no matter how much you need/want to. That means the best way to make sure you are able to get yourself and/or your kids to school on time is to...just do it. Hehe, you all thought I would change it up for these huh? Nope.

Well, maybe a little. If you're like me and just can't switch your characters off at night (which many writers are), then set an alarm for the morning. Set 2 or 3 if you need to. Honestly, I set 10----yeah, makes me go :o too. I do it though. Plus, I get everything ready the night before. Sounds like an obvious, but not everyone takes the time to do it. Those two things alone will help. The rest is pure motivation. You have to get to school/get your kids to/from school-so you use that to motivate you to get it done.

I've learned that if I try to make my characters stop talking because I say so, they talk louder. So, I don't try anymore. I just focus on the fact that I have to get my kids to school on time and pick them up on time. That, with the alarms and a little pre-planning the night before helps me accomplish this to do.

Happy Schooling or something :)

2 comments:

Melissa Sugar said...

I have great admiration for all mom's who manage to get their writing in during the day or night. I am a part time lawyer, full time mom & a struggling writer working toward publication. It is difficult to juggle all three. Fortunately my kids are getting older (teenage girls & a ten year old boy) & they pretty much get themselves ready for school and off to school, but I remember how hard it was to get five kids ready for a school day. I learned to write at night & I do my best work between ten (on a good night) probably closer to eleven so between ten or eleven and two. I try not to go past two so I can get some sleep.
I recently took an extended leave from work to concentrate on my book and for personal reasons and discovered that even when I had most of the day to write, I was more creative at night. I guess some people are just night owls-that or it is what you've become accustomed to.

I am a new follower. It is nice to be here.

Kela McClelland said...

Melissa- I only have 2 kids (girls 1 five and the other four) and it's a struggle with them. Kudos to you-five? Wow.
I am definitely a night owl and have always been that way. My creativity just seems to flow better at night.

Thanks for following :)