Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Yeah...

I don't have a clue really where my title for this came from. Again, there is no poem today, sorry busy bee over here. So here are some random thoughts...

Every kid at some point (at least those that I have known) always sing "The Song That Never Ends." For anyone who may not know it: "This is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend(s) some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because." (Repeat over and over and over...) SO- is there an old man/woman somewhere still singing this song? I mean, it's supposed to go on and on, right?

Why is it called the "terrible twos" when it doesn't REALLY hit until around 3?

Why do so many people not know that a woman carries a baby for ten months, not nine?

Why is it easier to write an entire book, all the way through to the final FINAL draft, than it is to write the synopsis/query/blurb/etc.?

Why are actors/actresses/singers/rappers more famous than authors/poets? They are the real celebrities.

Why do waitresses/waiters make so little money? I don't know how it is elsewhere-or even what minimum wage is as of right now for servers, but when I was a waitress, min wage was 2.13/hr. It is almost impossible to live on that, even with the tips. Yet, servers go through all kinds of hell. When food is cooked wrong, the server gets the complaints. When the cooks are moving slow, customers blame the servers. This list could go on and on, but the point is the same: Servers bust their asses and make practically nothing, why? (Remember that next time you're at a restaurant, btw)

The youngest generation of kids these days will never know the joys of Atari/Original Nintendo/Original Gameboy. They will never know what it's like to take have to blow in a game to make it work right.
What a thin, simple, rectangular controller feels like in their hands-how easy it fits and how much better you can play. What a real joystick controller looks like. A black box, with one orange button and a white stick in the middle.They won't know how Mario looks without the digital enhancement, or what Frogger is really supposed to look like. They won't know that there were big, rectangular, hand-held games that didn't even have a color screen. Or how about what it's like to flip a silver switch (yes I really mean switch) to turn the game on. The joys of gaming in the "digital age" is just unfair to our younger generations. It's so sad....

That concludes my random thoughts. Happy Tuesday :)

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've never understood why waitresses don't make at least minimum wage, plus their tips.
And kids today will never know the simplicity of a game called Pong.

Anonymous said...

I remeber that song. . .My parents hated that song.

Like Alex I never understood the waitress thing.

Although not old enough for the original nintendo, I do have a Super Nintendo from my my childhood.

Kela McClelland said...

Alex- Exactly.

Jeremy-Yeah, my mom did too. And Super Nintendo is not as classic as the original Nintendo, but it is a classic too.