Saturday, February 18, 2012

Critiques, Revising, Writing, and Details

I have decided what I will do. My Saturdays will be for random thoughts that coincide with some topic that relates to my week. Exciting, right? Yes, of course it is. Read on: :D

This week I managed to complete some critiques, writing, and revising and I got some reading done. I also got some feedback from one beta reader, and two critiquers. It was helpful information and it has given me plenty of work to do. The feedback also gave me a topic to rant about. DETAILS!!!!

When I read a book, I only care about the story. What do the characters look like? You don't need to tell me, I will make it up with my own imagination-and will more than likely skim the details you provide. Sorry, I know you put a lot of thought into each character, but those details just take up my time. Time I want to spend reading the actual story. What does the room look like that they are in? I don't care! Again, nothing against you and your writing, but I just don't. That is just more detail that means nothing to me. I only want the story! What's their tone of voice? Their body language? Yep, you guessed it-I don't care. Seriously, the story is all that matters and those things will not move me through the story, they just won't. All they do is give me more words to skim over. Just give me the story, nothing else. I know other people want those details, I know they consider them important information to the story-I don't.

That being said though, I have to revise my story to include more details. All those details I hate reading, I have to add in to my MS. Regardless of how I feel about it, majority of readers want to read that stuff. It would be easier if I like them, but since I don't it's making it harder to write it. My story is flat because I'm struggling through revisions/writing, trying to add in details. Editing used to be my downfall, I hated editing. Right now though, I would rather be editing in general, rather than having to add in details. Details, is my new frenemy. We may not like each other, but I have to deal with it

I spent this past week, pouting about the details and I will be spending this week overcoming them. Details will not be the reason my story falls flat. I want to share my story (Eamon and Sheena's story) with everyone, if that means I need to add more details to the MS, then that is what I will do.

Happy Saturday! :)

No comments: