Monday, April 6, 2015

Easter Extra

(Warning just in case: I'm going to talk religion. I'm Episcopal. I rarely talk religion because I don't really enjoy getting into debates with people. Religion can become an ocean between people who would normally be neighbors and I don't like that. I do not judge and I do not like judgement. If you cannot read this blog post and be nonjudgmental then I'd rather you come back to my blog on another day. I don't want to offend anyone or turn anyone from my blog, but I will not tolerate anything hateful in the comments. Thank you.)

If you're staying, carry on. :)

Of course, being that at the time I'm writing this, it's Easter, I'm having a hard time thinking of any word that isn't Easter related.

So, let's talk bunnies. Yeah, I know, we've already done B. But, technically this is an E post because I'm thinking Easter Bunnies and Eggs.

If you're a religious person who believes in Jesus and such, you most likely believe that Easter is the day that Christ came back. Easter Sunday, AKA Resurrection Sunday. I happen to believe in Jesus and although I don't always take the Bible in a way a lot of other religious people do, I believe in many religious traditions.

I celebrate Lent, which is the 40 days and nights leading up to Easter. When I think of Good Friday, I think of it as the day Jesus Christ was crucified. When I think of Easter, I think of it as the day Jesus rose from the dead. Just like when I celebrate Christmas I find it confusing that I think of it as the day Christ was born and yet I'm giving presents to other people and getting presents from other people. It's weird, why do I get presents on His day?

Off subject a little...So we've got this Easter Bunny and he hides eggs and leaves some treats for the kids. And the reason is that in history, rabbits are associated with fertility and so are eggs. Eggs come from chickens and that's why sometimes chicks are associated. And rabbits were once thought to be able to procreate on their own, no intercourse needed. The frequency that rabbits give birth, along with the number of bunnies, is what really aided them being fertility symbols. And how they got associated with Jesus' day? Well, since they were once thought to procreate alone, they were associated with Mary.

Another egg tidbit-sometimes eggs were boiled because people didn't eat them during the fasting of Lent and then they'd eat them on Easter. Sometimes they were dyed red to show the sacrifice Christ made. Sometimes they were just decorated for celebrations.

Anyway, that's enough. Too much really. I'm so sorry this post is so long.

Have an awesome Monday and I'll catch you tomorrow.  :)

(Side note: I am visiting blogs starting from my name on the sign up list and going down. If you've come to my blog already and I haven't been to yours, I swear I'm on my way soon.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to hear another variation of the story.

I'm baptist, but our church is seen as a little different from other baptist churches (not sure why, but I haven't visited enough of any other baptist churches to see).

Anyway, lol, Good Friday for us is the first day Jesus was in the tomb, but he died Thursday night.

We also call Easter Resurrection Sunday because of the Pagan connotations of Easter and the goddess of fertility. Though we still do have an egg hunt for the kids on Saturday.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That does explain the boiled eggs. I also know Easter was a pagan holiday originally and the church just combined the two. Still means the resurrection to me.

Michele at Angels Bark said...

hmm, i never thought about how bunnies and chickens are connected to Easter. This post was very interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Easter. And hope you had a fabulous one!
Michele at Angels Bark

SC Author said...

Woah, I never knew that. Thanks for sharing - really interesting.

Sandra Wilkes said...

Enjoyed this post. Like your style.